Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks Pool topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Parks official Eric Tizlon presents $6.7 million Dankworth Park pool concept; staff says referendum would likely be Nov. 3

Burlington City Council · July 13, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Parks presenter Eric Tizlon told the Burlington City Council a new Dankworth Park pool concept would cost an estimated $6.7 million, could reach voters in a November referendum requiring a 60% approval, and would include accessibility and amenity changes informed by 1,200 survey responses.

Eric Tizlon, a parks staff member, told the Burlington City Council on July 13 that a proposed replacement for the aging Dankworth Park pool has a conservative construction estimate of $6,700,000 based on JEO's design and construction opinion. Tizlon said the concept would keep a main pool roughly the same size as the existing facility (about 10,029—10,100 square feet in the concept), eliminate the separate wading pool in favor of a 0-entry shallow play area on the west side, add roughly 6,000 square feet of lawn seating and improve pool-house layout and restroom code compliance.

Tizlon said the design prioritizes shade, lounge areas and sight lines and that higher-cost extras such as water slides, a lazy river or large aquatic-additions were intentionally excluded to keep the base cost down; he estimated a water slide at $450,000—$600,000 and a splash pad at roughly $600,000—$800,000. He told council the project would likely need to go to referendum similar to a prior fire station ballot and that the council's review would determine whether a November 3 referendum could be put on the ballot. "If it goes to referendum in November and passes, the soonest a pool could open would be the summer of 2028," Tizlon said, while noting construction schedules and bond timing could push that timeline back a year or two.

Tizlon described public outreach to date: a multi-month concept survey that drew about 1,200 responses, and an open-house the previous Thursday with about 75 attendees. He said survey respondents favored shade, basic six-lane (25-meter) lap facilities and lounging space over specialty attractions. Staff also said they planned to pursue grants and private donations to lower the tax levy impact; Tizlon cited a potential CAT grant target of about $500,000 and said $100,000 in additional funding would lower the per-household increase by roughly $2.15 per month on an example $100,000 home.

On operations and staffing, Tizlon and Recreation Manager Brad Selby said the proposed design should not require a substantially larger lifeguard footprint absent slides or other high-staff amenities. Tizlon provided historical operating figures: in 2017 the pool's expenses were about $86,000 with revenues of roughly $63,000; in the last year the pool was open staff estimated a roughly $60,000 shortfall between expenses and revenues. Council members asked staff to provide more detailed recent operating-cost and revenue numbers.

The council did not take a formal vote on the pool proposal at the work session; staff said ballot language and bond documents would be prepared for the July 31 work session and the August 3 regular meeting for council consideration.