Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Discipline Consent Orders topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Board approves consent orders and memorandum of decision; members debate sanctions and mental‑health conditions
Summary
The board approved a consent order imposing a $2,500 fine on Dr. Ruth Lopin and approved a separate consent order for Dr. Carolan that includes a reprimand, probation, monitoring and a $10,000 civil penalty; members debated boundaries, malpractice history and mental‑health treatment. The board also approved a memorandum of decision for Dr. Smith.
Get email alerts on the Discipline Consent Orders topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The board approved multiple disciplinary actions and accepted a memorandum of decision after staff and department counsel presented proposed terms.
Anthony Nanny, counsel for the department, summarized a consent order for Ruth Lopin, M.D. (petition no. 2025‑688). The department said the respondent was disciplined in Alaska for failure to register with the state's prescription‑monitoring program and did not disclose that discipline within 30 days or on a subsequent Connecticut renewal. The consent order imposes a reprimand and a $2,500 civil penalty; the board approved the order by roll call.
The board then considered a more contested consent order for Dr. Carolan, whose license has been suspended since Sept. 27, 2023. Department counsel outlined allegations arising from a former‑employer complaint: failures in documenting surgical consultation options (including discussion of mesh augmentation), alleged inappropriate physical contact and boundary issues involving a patient, and concerns that the respondent has had one or more emotional disorders affecting practice. The department recommended a disciplinary package that included a reprimand, a $10,000 civil penalty, a permanent restriction requiring a female staff member be present during examinations or treatment of female patients, four years of probation with monthly/quarterly therapy and medication‑management reports, required supervision if employed, a ban on telehealth and self‑employment, and tolling language for prolonged nonpractice or out‑of‑state practice.
Attorney Richard Brown, representing the respondent, said treating providers had provided records showing continuous treatment since 2024 and that an assistant was present during the encounters at issue. "He has been in treatment continuously, since at least 2024," Brown said, adding that the therapist saw no reason he could not safely practice. Board member Michelle Jacqueline strongly opposed the proposed sanction package and argued the suspension should continue until clinicians verify the respondent "is no longer a threat to the health and safety of Connecticut residents." Jacqueline noted multiple past malpractice findings and described the conduct in the consent order as "inappropriate behavior" that she could not accept as a probationary outcome.
Other board members cautioned against stigmatizing mental‑health treatment and said documented treatment and supervisory arrangements can mitigate risk; one member said OB‑GYNs face higher malpractice exposure and urged the board to consider the whole record. After discussion and roll call, the board approved the consent order.
The board also approved a memorandum of decision for Dr. Smith; the panel reported that prior issues in North Carolina had been resolved and that no additional restrictions were necessary.
Before adjourning, Attorney Susan Castengway reminded the board of statutory authority for civil penalties under Connecticut General Statutes 19a‑17(a)(7) and noted the statute sets a maximum penalty (she stated $10,000, and the record includes a remark that the maximum may have been amended to $25,000).

