Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Nuisance Property topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Neighbors urge demolition of long-vacant house at 631 Stratford Lane; owner says repairs are underway

Coppell City Council · July 15, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents of Stratford Lane told Coppell City Council the home at 631 Stratford Lane has been vacant for years, attracting rodents and loiterers, and urged demolition; the property owner said he has contracted repairs, paid deposits and provided inspection documentation and asked for a chance to rebuild.

Several Stratford Lane residents pressed the Coppell City Council to remove or require remediation of a house they say has been vacant and hazardous for years at 631 Stratford Lane.

Greg Martinez, speaking for the 28-home Stratford Lane Homeowners Association, said neighbors support demolition because the property has been empty “for over 10 years” and has created safety concerns. Mary Knight Tyler said the house has attracted rodents and that the neighborhood has suffered ongoing problems; she told the council she and others fear speaking up because of possible retribution.

Retired physician George Cooper outlined safety and wildlife concerns and said the house had been determined uninhabitable. “I would prefer, from an ecological point of view that it be rehabbed,” Cooper said, but added that rehabilitation has not happened and that “I just can’t see how it’s unavoidable” to proceed with demolition if repairs do not materialize.

A man who identified himself as Solomon, describing steps taken to comply with city code, told the council he has contracted to begin rebuilding, paid a $23,000 payment to the contractor and provided a roof-inspection report he said shows the roof needs no repair. He said he has evidence — including emails — that city staff were not forthcoming in helping him obtain permits and that power was disconnected earlier than expected; he asked the council to allow his family to rebuild at the address.

Ruhi Ahmed, who provided the same Stratford Lane address and identified herself as a resident and family member, asked the council not to demolish the house, saying the family needs time and that the family has experienced distress. Ahmed told council members she and family members are working on repairs and requested the council consider the contractor’s statement and documents that she said were provided to staff.

Council did not take immediate formal action during public comment. Staff and members of the council later noted that the Code Compliance and Standards Committee has reviewed the property and that the matter has been through due process; a council member said demolition had been scheduled in past steps. The council invited the speakers to leave documentation with staff for further review.

The next procedural step is for the council or staff to act on any outstanding enforcement or demolition schedules after reviewing permit records, inspection reports and any new documentation submitted by the owner or contractor.