Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Mobile Home Metering topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

San Marcos mobile‑home residents tell council removal of bidirectional meters raised bills, request city help

San Marcos City Council · July 15, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents of San Marcos Mobile Home Estates told the council that park management removed bidirectional meters, causing solar output to be recorded as consumption and raising residents' bills; the city manager said staff will meet the property and gather more information.

Residents of San Marcos Mobile Home Estates told the San Marcos City Council on July 14 that changes the park made to electrical meters have left solar‑equipped households paying higher bills and seeking city assistance.

John Mosher, speaking for the San Marcos Mobile Home Residents Association, said he prepared a spreadsheet comparing kilowatt‑hour usage before and after solar installations and concluded that the park’s master meters are recording solar output as resident consumption rather than crediting residents. Mosher told the council the park needs bidirectional meters so residents receive proper credit for on‑site solar production.

Dora Sandoval, a resident who said she and her husband live on Social Security, described that management removed her bidirectional meter after taking over the property in February 2024 and that her bills rose. In her remarks she said her earlier bills had been "5 something, 6 something," and that after the meter change "the bill went up $1.44 41" (the numeric phrasing in the record is unclear). She said she had tried to resolve the issue with property management and described interactions she called rude and unprofessional.

Pat Gibbons, identified on the agenda, told the council a resident had brought the matter to the city and that staff would visit the property with a resident and gather more information. "I am gonna be meeting with John on the property on Friday morning," Gibbons said, and asked impacted residents to provide information to the city so staff can explore whether there are avenues for assistance. City staff cautioned the council that the city’s direct authority over SDG&E (the utility) is limited but said staff will brainstorm whether the city can assist through government‑relations contacts or other limited measures.

What's next: City Manager Pat Gibbons said staff will meet on site with residents and return with more information about possible next steps; residents were invited to provide documentation to city staff prior to the site visit.