Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Sherwood Village topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council approves amended Sherwood Village agreement; authorizes intent to acquire right-of-way for Fremont Street improvements

Fernley City Council · July 16, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council approved an amended development agreement that reduces Sherwood Village from 316 apartments to 293 townhomes and adopted a resolution authorizing acquisition (including condemnation if needed) of remaining Fremont Street right-of-way and an emergency access easement on Vine Street to complete public improvements.

Fernley — The City Council voted unanimously to approve an amended and restated development agreement for the Sherwood Village project and, separately, adopted a resolution declaring the city’s intent to acquire certain property interests needed for required Fremont Street frontage improvements and an emergency access connection to Vine Street.

Staff said the revised proposal reduces the previously approved plan of 316 apartment units to a 293‑unit duplex-style (two-story) townhome development on about 26.47 acres north of Fremont Street and south of I‑80. Tristan Rodriguez, senior planner, told council the amendment does not change the property’s zoning and continues to require public infrastructure, including Fremont Street frontage work, and establishes procedures for right-of-way acquisition, emergency access, and developer financial security.

Developer representatives said the change lowers density and provides design improvements. Garrett Gordon of Lincoln Avenue Communities said the project would be workforce housing (targeting 50–70% AMI for rentals), the units would be two stories rather than three, and the developer will pay to relocate fences and sheds and will reimburse acquisition costs required to implement the improvements. “The property owners should not have to pay a single dollar,” Gordon said, describing developer commitments to fund fence relocation and related costs in addition to land acquisition compensation.

Council then considered Resolution 26‑016, which finds public use and necessity for acquisition of the remaining Fremont Street right-of-way and an easement to establish the Vine Street emergency access. Staff said some necessary interests already have been acquired and negotiations are ongoing with remaining owners; they also reported a gap in recorded title under a portion of the existing gravel Vine roadway, which could require condemnation to clear title. The resolution authorizes the city attorney and special counsel to commence proceedings under NRS Chapter 37 if negotiations do not resolve outstanding interests.

Votes and next steps: The council approved the amended development agreement and then adopted the eminent‑domain resolution on separate 4–0 votes. Staff and the developer said they will continue negotiations with property owners but that condemnation may be necessary to secure the small strip of title on Vine identified in title work.

What it means for neighbors: The development agreement requires the developer to construct required improvements and to secure and post financial guarantees; if the city must pursue condemnation to clear title it will hold any fee interests for public use and the developer is responsible for acquisition costs under the agreement. Planning staff confirmed sidewalk, curb and other street infrastructure requirements remain and that property owners who yield right-of-way are entitled to just compensation under Nevada law.

Authorities: Staff cited the statutory condemnation process under NRS Chapter 37 during the discussion.