Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Transportation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Henderson authorizes pursuit of up to $10 million in IIJA SS4A funds; local match could reach $2 million
Summary
The Board voted unanimously to apply for up to $10 million from the IIJA SS4A program to fund a roadway safety action plan and supplemental planning, with staff saying the 20% local match could be as much as $2 million and recommending a city contribution of up to $1 million if working with engineering partners.
Get email alerts on the Transportation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Henderson Board of Commissioners on May 12 authorized City staff to apply for and accept up to $10,000,000 in federal funding through the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act for the Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) Action Plan and supplemental planning project.
City Manager Dylan Ward told commissioners the SS4A awards include planning and implementation grants that use crash data to identify the most dangerous locations and prioritize countermeasures. Ward said the city's safety action plan — previously prepared with GRADD — identified the intersection of U.S. 41 and Watson Lane as the most dangerous and listed Barrett Boulevard and U.S. 60 as a second priority. Palmer Engineering has been engaged to review the plan and could assist with the grant-writing process.
Ward said the grant requires a 20% local match that "could reach up to $2 million." He described staff's recommendation that the City contribute up to $1 million total (equivalent to $200,000 per year over five years) if the City partners with Palmer Engineering on the application and implementation. Finance Director Chelsea Mills provided a budget context, noting reduced state gas-tax receipts this year compared with prior years.
Mayor Bradley S. Staton framed the potential local investment in leverage terms: "For the investment of $200,000.00 per year, the City could potentially bring $9 million in federal funding back to our City," he said.
Commissioner Robert N. Pruitt, Sr. moved the resolution authorizing the application and acceptance of IIJA funds; Commissioner Nicholas E. Whitt seconded. The motion passed by roll call vote, 5-0.
Staff noted two practical constraints: implementation work on state-owned routes will require permission from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, and detailed project selection will depend on further engineering review and grant guidance. The city is currently coordinating with Palmer Engineering on next steps; staff listed a recommendation to contribute up to $1 million toward the local match if Palmer assists with grant writing and project delivery.
Next steps: staff will prepare the SS4A application and pursue state permissions where projects involve state routes. The Board did not set a final appropriation; any budgeted local match will be subject to future budget action.
