Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Cardi Bar topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents urge council to act after stabbing and shooting near Cardi's 8th Street Bar & Grill
Summary
Neighbors told the Fairmont City Council they are alarmed by a series of violent incidents near Cardi's 8th Street Bar & Grill and asked for weekend patrols and ABC enforcement; the city manager said the establishment's license had been suspended and staff will follow up with ABCA.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Cardi Bar topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Neighbors urged the Fairmont City Council on March 24 to address public‑safety issues linked to Cardi's 8th Street Bar & Grill after a stabbing in October and a shooting two weekends earlier.
Savannah Blavat, who identified herself as speaking about the business at 300.125 Street, told council several violent incidents have occurred in the bar’s parking lot and that many nearby residents have children who play outside. “We’re just hoping that the city can provide some, maybe, police officers or something to patrol maybe on the weekends,” Blavat said, and added she had contacted the ABC Commission about underage drinking and over‑serving.
In the city manager’s report, staff said the establishment’s license had been initially suspended in relation to alcohol concerns and that functional changes were being reported, including removal of billiard tables, conversions to more dining‑oriented operations and earlier closing times; the manager encouraged residents to report incidents through the city’s nonemergency line or by calling 911 so they are recorded.
Why it matters: Residents described repeated incidents that they said raise immediate concerns about safety for children and families in nearby blocks. They asked the council to consider stepped‑up enforcement, patrols or licensing follow‑up.
What council said and did: Council members thanked the speakers and the city manager indicated staff would continue to follow up with the ABCA/ABC Commission and encourage residents to report incidents. No formal motion or ordinance was introduced at the meeting to change patrol schedules or licensing conditions; council later moved into executive session on unrelated grant recommendations.
Next steps: Staff directed residents to report future incidents to the nonemergency line or 911 so police records exist; the city manager said he and the city attorney will provide answers and follow up on licensing status publicly as available.

