Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Downtown Revitalization topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Wymore considers demolition of Gambles building; city to apply for downtown revitalization grant

Wymore City Council · June 1, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City Attorney Andy Carothers said the city will apply for a Downtown Revitalization Grant and plans to request $75,000 with a required 15% city match to help demolish the Gambles building; two demolition bids were received and the city will serve condemnation notice to owners as part of the application.

City Attorney Andy Carothers told the Wymore City Council on Feb. 7 that the city is preparing an application for a Downtown Revitalization Grant to help remove the Gambles building downtown. Andy said the application must include a revitalization plan and proof that owners have been served notice of condemnation; he plans to send the necessary letters the next day.

Andy said the city plans to request $75,000 in grant funds and that the City must provide a 15% match. Tim (surname recorded later as Sedlacek) reported that two demolition bids were received—Tiemann’s of Beatrice and Lottman’s of Diller—and that the application should include all possible costs. Tim also said property owner Cliff McConnell indicated he would like his property demolished and would pay fees incurred. Andy said he will confirm whether Wehrbein has deposited the previously agreed $3,500 for demolition and will contact that owner.

Councilors and staff discussed whether the City should pursue ownership of condemned lots; Councilor Max Allen said he would like the City to retain ownership so properties are maintained. Tim asked whether the Fire Department had set a date to burn the Wehrbein house; Mayor Collin Meints said the department planned to discuss it at a meeting the next day and expected the burn to happen within about three weeks.

Andy also said he is checking with Steve McNulty about whether the existing tax‑increment (TIF) revitalization plan could be used for the grant application and will confirm whether the Gambles building appears on the National Historic Registry as part of the eligibility check. Andy expects to have the full application ready for the council’s next meeting.