Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks And Recreation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Planning board finds pickleball courts complete, paves way for ribbon cutting

West Newbury Planning Board · July 23, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The West Newbury Planning Board unanimously approved a certificate of completion for the new pickleball courts after the building commissioner and engineer confirmed the installation matches the approved plan; the vote clears the way to remove barriers and schedule a ribbon cutting.

The West Newbury Planning Board voted unanimously to find that the town's new pickleball courts are complete and built in accordance with the approved plans, clearing a final administrative hurdle so the public can use the facility.

Ray Cook moved that “the West Newbury Planning Board find that the West Newbury Pickle Courts are complete and based on the approved plans.” Anne Bardeen seconded the motion; the roll call vote was unanimous in favor. Board members said they relied on a field inspection by Building Commissioner Sam Jocelyn and an as‑built submitted by engineer William Sipsparajas (filed as the project's closeout documentation).

Jen (staff) noted that Sam inspected the site and that the photographs in the packet show the courts with the required onsite signage. Angus, who presented the applicant's materials, told the board that an earlier memo from Rich Williams referenced an older plan and that Williams issued a correction clarifying signage is shown on the approved plan and therefore no additional parking‑lot instructional signs were required.

Angus said the project team had been cautious about opening the courts and that the certificate would permit removal of temporary barriers. "We did it to plan," he said, and described the site materials and a bronze dedication plaque that organizers hope to unveil at a ribbon cutting once logistics are set.

Because the board's motion explicitly found the work completed per the approved documents, staff said barriers could be removed promptly and event planning for a public opening could proceed after administrative closeout steps. The board did not attach conditions to the certificate; any sign discrepancy noted later could be addressed separately, members said.

Votes at a glance: motion to find the pickleball courts complete — mover: Ray Cook; second: Anne Bardeen; outcome: approved (unanimous).