Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Development topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents urge council to block proposed 102‑unit mobile home park near Carriage Place

Florence County Council · April 16, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents from Carriage Place and Richmond Hills told the county council they oppose a planned 102 single‑wide mobile home park, citing traffic, safety for children, stormwater and property‑value impacts. Council members noted zoning limitations without countywide zoning.

Charles McPherson and Kenneth Jones told Florence County Council on April 16 that a developer’s plan for 102 single‑wide mobile homes on roughly 20 acres would harm nearby established neighborhoods.

“It's 102 single wide mobile homes is what the plan is so far,” McPherson said, adding concerns about traffic and runoff near Jeffrey Creek. Jones, who described himself as an HOA board officer representing 58 homes, said routing subdivision traffic through a cul‑de‑sac would “permanently alter” the neighborhood and raise safety and property‑value concerns. Jones asked council to reconsider approval and emphasized the neighborhood’s small, family‑oriented character.

Council members acknowledged residents’ frustration and pointed to the county’s lack of zoning as the complicating factor. One council member said the episode illustrates “100% why zoning is important” because, without zoning, options to block such proposals are limited. Speakers asked whether traffic and environmental studies had been completed; speakers representing the community said land‑development permits and utility plans were not yet established.