Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Health Disease topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Beaufort County health officials report regional measles cases, increased flu deaths and local COVID hospitalizations

Beaufort County Board of Health · January 20, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Health Director JaNell Octigan briefed the board on infectious-disease trends: 11 measles cases since Dec. 2025 in North Carolina, 124 new cases in upstate South Carolina (outbreak total 558), 63 influenza deaths in one week (134 season total, three pediatric), and 27 COVID-19 inpatients at ECU Health as of Jan. 11.

Health Director JaNell Octigan presented disease‑trend slides and told the board that North Carolina has recorded 11 measles cases since December 2025. She also noted a larger regional outbreak across the border, reporting 124 new measles cases in upstate South Carolina as of Jan. 16, bringing that outbreak total to 558.

On influenza, Octigan cited a Jan. 16 NCDHHS release showing 63 deaths in a single week and 134 influenza deaths so far this season, including three pediatric deaths. Octigan reported 27 COVID‑19 inpatients at ECU Health hospitals as of Jan. 11 and said ECU Health temporarily reintroduced masking for team members and visitors during patient‑facing interactions because of increases in respiratory viruses. Board members did not record additional action requests on the disease updates.