Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Resident urges moving fireworks away from homes; council pledges to find alternate location and cleanup plan
Summary
A resident complained that fireworks for community days were being launched too close to homes and that debris landed in yards; council discussed moving launch site, alternate times, stricter permit oversight, and volunteer cleanup plans.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
During open comments, resident Brock Reed raised concern about fireworks launched near homes and debris falling into yards and gutters. He asked for consideration of alternate firing sites or times to reduce risk to residents and property.
Councilmembers said the city sponsors community fireworks displays and that the public display permit and contractor arrangements (previously with Premier Pyrotechnics) determine launch locations. “We just have to find a different location to shoot them from,” one councilmember said during the discussion. The council discussed moving the display to a different park or to Sunday night when events are less concentrated, and flagged the 100‑feet per 100‑feet safe‑zone practice that must be respected. Volunteers from flag football were noted as committed to next‑day cleanup duties.
No ordinance change was voted at the meeting; council members agreed to revisit community days logistics before next year’s events and to ensure cleanup and permit enforcement measures are in place.

