Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Demolition topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Board orders demolition of Nelson Drive property after owner death and lack of follow-up

Abilene Board of Building Standards · April 1, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The board found the house at 833 Nelson Dr. a public nuisance and ordered demolition after staff reported the listed owner is deceased and that outreach efforts failed to yield a repair plan.

The Abilene Board of Building Standards voted to order demolition of the property at 833 Nelson Drive after staff presented evidence that the listed owner is deceased and that repair would be unreasonable.

Ricky Wright told the board that utilities have been off at the address since May 2021 and that the owner, James Matthews, is deceased. Staff contacted the listed spouse in 2025, who said she had secured the property and would submit repair quotes and a plan of action but later failed to follow up. The board was also told a condemnation affidavit had been filed and that staff posted hearing notice and mailed notices to owners.

Mr. McNeil moved to follow the staff recommendation to find the property a public nuisance and order demolition; Mr. Tankersley seconded. The board voted by roll call (Wyatt, Allred, Tankersley, McNeil, Dugger—yes) to adopt the order requiring demolition or appeal within 30 days.