Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Zoning topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Zoning official says agricultural lot cannot show evidence of industrial business; magistrate orders compliance and 2‑year cease for Kemp/Meal property

Charlotte County Code Enforcement Special Magistrate · March 4, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

County planning staff said a property operating as a construction/well‑drilling site in agricultural zoning violates rules because visible evidence of business activity is not allowed; magistrate issued 30 days to comply, daily fines thereafter, and a 2‑year cease‑and‑desist for repeat violations.

Matthew Greenwood testified that the property at 6057 Stras(s) Boulevard had been cleared, a storage container installed and equipment present consistent with a commercial operation without permits. He offered photographs into evidence. Respondents Michael Kemp and Raymond Meal said they were owner‑building a barndominium and had been working to obtain permits.

Planning and zoning official Sean Cullinan clarified the county's position: agricultural zoning can allow certain uses by special use exemption only if the operation is fully sheltered and there is no visible evidence of a business. "It has to be in a fully enclosed structure... It cannot be there cannot be any evidence of the operation going on. That means the vehicles cannot be seen," Cullinan said. The magistrate found the county had proven the violation, issued a 30‑day compliance window, set subsequent daily fines and issued a two‑year cease‑and‑desist order for repeat zoning violations.