Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Youth Programs topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Battle of the Bands to get youth and adult divisions; winners to open concert series

Johns Creek Recreation & Parks Advisory Committee · October 10, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Staff told the advisory committee the popular Battle of the Bands will be split into youth and adult divisions in March, with winners receiving trophies and the opportunity to open a concert; members suggested livestreaming and event merchandise.

City staff reported the Battle of the Bands will return in March and that organizers plan to split the competition into two divisions—youth (high school/college) and adult—to better match performance styles and encourage participation. "We would like to do two divisions," Kara Peral said, noting last year's event was a successful inaugural program.

Peral said submission is currently by demo tape and that the production crew provides full sound support; staff tentatively plans younger acts from 6–8 p.m. and older acts from 8–10 p.m. to comply with the city's noise ordinance. Prizes will include a trophy and a slot to open for the city's concert series. Committee members proposed streaming the event and offering T-shirts or other merchandise to build momentum.

Staff will pass suggestions to the recreation coordinator who runs Battle of the Bands and confirm final schedules and selection criteria. No formal vote was taken; details will be part of staff event planning for 2025.