Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Environment topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

County officials outline remediation steps after East Los Angeles crude‑oil pipeline rupture

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors · July 28, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Los Angeles County officials told the Board of Supervisors the May 22 pipeline rupture released about 25,000 gallons of crude and that a mitigation analysis is due Aug. 31; health agencies said monitoring has not shown levels of concern but residents report ongoing nausea and odors.

Los Angeles County convened departments and residents on July 28 to report on response and next steps following a May 22 crude‑oil release at Eastern Avenue and Cesar Chavez Avenue.

Chair Solis opened the presentation by asking county agencies to explain current conditions and the timeline for remediation. Mark Pastrea of Public Works said the responsible parties have been required to submit an analytical mitigation report to the county, with that report due on August 31. "We are asking for it sooner," he told the board, and said the county expects to have a plan in September with construction to follow. Pastrea gave a conservative remediation target of January 2027 for completion of major construction work.

County Fire’s health hazardous‑materials chief Mario Traceras described the response and environmental monitoring. "There was no levels of concern," he said, describing continuous air monitoring and coordination with EPA and the State’s Office of Spill Prevention and Response. Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer told the board her office has not seen elevated benzene levels during the incident: "We haven't seen any elevated levels of benzene the entire incident," she said, while acknowledging nuisance odors can still cause headaches, nausea and eye or throat irritation.

Public Works and the regional water board are leading long‑term remediation and enforcement planning; Pastrea said the state water board is pursuing a violation case and that the county will provide gathered evidence to regulators. County counsel outlined the usual strategy: address community needs and recovery first, calculate costs the county incurs, then seek recovery from responsible parties and litigate if necessary.

Economic and business impacts were raised by Kelly Lobianco (Department of Economic Opportunity), who said canvassing found 40–50 directly impacted businesses reporting "up to 70–75% revenue loss" in the first days. Lobianco said 19 businesses had submitted claims to date, one claim had been approved and three were close to approval; she urged improved outreach and a centralized web portal to make claims and resources easier to find.

Chair Solis and other supervisors pressed departments for a consolidated county portal in Spanish and other languages, regular community meetings in East Los Angeles, and clearer notice procedures ahead of soil excavation and road closures. Pastrea said some excavation and boring work will require permits and lane closures and that outreach (door‑to‑door flyers, social media and multi‑language notices) will precede field activity.

The board took no new enforcement vote at the meeting but received the briefing and held a lengthy public‑comment period. Officials reiterated that monitoring to date has not shown readings that trigger public‑health action, while residents and school staff described ongoing odors and health symptoms and urged faster action, relocation options for those most affected, and a clearer, centralized information hub.