Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Environmental Health topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents ask Newport Beach to reduce pesticide use and explain 'organics-first' implementation

Newport Beach City Council · July 29, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Parents and public-health advocates told council records show only one organic pesticide application in the past year despite an 'organics-first' policy; speakers requested clearer reporting, notification of upcoming applications, and bans on vendor conflicts.

Several speakers urged Newport Beach to reduce routine pesticide and herbicide use in parks, playgrounds, schools and athletic fields and asked for clearer implementation of the city's stated "organics-first" approach. Hagai Feiner, a parent and advocate, said application records show only one organic application from July last year to July this year but 1,753 total applications, calling that disparity "baffling" and asking staff to publish clearer records and an explanation of the discrepancy.

Michelle Feiner amplified those concerns and urged an oversight mechanism to review potential vendor-sponsored incentives and rebates that could influence application decisions. Speakers requested a public-notification system so residents can learn in advance when sprays are planned; Irvine was cited as a model. Council said the item may return for further consideration at an August meeting and welcomed additional public input.