Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks And Recreation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Applicant says resident noise prompted removal of pickleball courts at Canyons amenity

City of Castle Pines Planning Commission · October 24, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Applicant representative told the commission resident complaints about proximity and noise — and examples from other municipalities — led to the decision to replace approved pickleball courts with a passive park and to propose cobblestone swales for erosion control.

Ryan McDermott, representing the applicant, told the planning commission the decision to remove the four previously approved pickleball courts and replace them with a passive park was prompted by resident feedback and research. He pointed to noise concerns near homes and examples in other Front Range cities where courts were restricted or relocated.

"We felt it best at this time to ... remove those pickleball courts, take in its place ... a passive park," McDermott said. He described the passive park design as using the previously approved shade structure, new planters for screening mechanical equipment, and a combination of rock mulch and cobble in swales to address recurring erosion issues after heavy rains.

McDermott also said construction of the Canyon House structure is approximately 80–90% complete and that the changes are intended to balance amenity access with neighborhood impacts. Staff recommended conditional approval to allow review of drainage details before final filing.