Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Administration topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

City Manager reports Opportunity Zone application, WODA archeology and other administrative updates

Steubenville City Council · July 14, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City Manager Michael Johnson said the city submitted three Opportunity Zone tracks to the Ohio Department of Development, reported that WODA will erect a fence and begin archeological digs at the Sunset site, and urged departments to update city web pages.

City Manager Michael Johnson told Council that the city met the July 9 opportunity-zone application deadline and submitted three tracks for consideration to the Ohio Department of Development; he said downtown (track 200) was the top pick, followed by Mingo and a south-end track. Johnson said he had emailed council a letter supporting the applications and that state staff had been receptive.

Johnson also reported that WODA will erect a privacy construction fence at the Sunset site and that archeologists will begin digging on Monday to determine whether grave sites remain; he said the developer did not want onlookers and that the city was notifying the public for transparency. He also reported deterioration at the local mall and urged department heads to update city web pages.

On electric aggregation, Johnson recommended inviting the city's broker to a future Council meeting to discuss potential savings on electricity and considered seeking similar authority for gas procurements. He also reviewed code-enforcement actions related to refuse cans and nuisance properties.