Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Governance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council agrees to place mayor‑selection question on November ballot; if approved change takes effect in 2028
Summary
Council voted to put a measure before voters asking whether the mayor should be chosen by council (appointed) rather than elected. Staff noted that, if approved, the change would take effect after the incumbent mayor’s term expires (November 2028); the council also chose option 1 for ballot‑argument authorship.
Get email alerts on the Governance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Deputy City Attorney Manny Cruz presented a council‑initiated measure to return the mayor’s selection to a council appointment instead of direct election. Cruz said the change would not alter the mayor’s powers — which are primarily procedural in South El Monte — and that a council‑selection model is common in California. He told the council that, if voters approve the measure, the change would not be immediate but would take effect after the incumbent mayor’s term expires in November 2028.
Council discussed ballot‑argument options and authorship. The council agreed to option 1 (council‑authorized arguments with up to two authors and up to five signatures) and designated the mayor and mayor pro tem as authors for the pro side; council direction set procedures for finalizing the text and timeline. Estimated incremental cost to place this question on the ballot was reported at about $3,000.
Several councilmembers said they opposed the policy change on principle and emphasized the mayor’s current elected mandate; others argued it returns the city to a previously used system. The council adopted the resolution and authorized first reading of an ordinance to place the measure on the Nov. 3 ballot.
