Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Policing Youth topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
North College Hill parent presses city for answers after officers searched her 16‑year‑old
Summary
At the Aug. 3 North College Hill City Council meeting, Chandra Barnes described a stop of her 16‑year‑old son and said video contradicts officers' initial statements; she asked why she was not contacted and sought clarity on policies for handling minors. Administration said interim Chief Cheney has reviewed the footage and promised a response by Aug. 7.
Get email alerts on the Policing Youth topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Chandra Barnes told the City Council she reviewed store camera footage after a July stop of her 16‑year‑old near Dollar Tree and said the video contradicts what an officer told her family.
"If I say no, no is no," Barnes said, describing her son’s fear and her view that the encounter should have been handled differently. She asked why she was not notified and why the store manager and police had not reviewed or used the camera footage sooner.
City Administrator Jillian Dukstein and other council members urged Barnes to meet with Interim Police Chief Cheney, who had already emailed that he would review the incident and provide answers. Dukstein said Cheney agreed to provide follow‑up no later than Aug. 7, 2026.
Barnes said a blanket statement from the department was insufficient and asked that the matter be made part of the public record. Council members expressed sympathy and pushed for clearer parent‑notification procedures when minors are involved.
Dukstein and other officials described next steps as an administrative review that could include a meeting between Barnes and the chief. The council did not vote or make a formal policy change during the meeting; Dukstein said certain details will need to remain confidential while any investigation proceeds.

