Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Rate Design topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
PUCN affirms daily residential demand charge, drawing wide public protest
Summary
The Public Utilities Commission of Nevada voted to issue a revised order affirming a daily residential demand charge and related net‑metering changes for NV Energy, despite dozens of public commenters urging reversal and citing affordability and legal concerns.
Get email alerts on the Rate Design topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Public Utilities Commission of Nevada on Nov. 5 voted to issue a revised order in NV Energy's general rate case that affirms a three‑rate residential structure and a mandatory daily demand charge that will begin April 2026.
Commissioner Tammy Cordova, who presented the draft order, said the structure is intended to recover fixed infrastructure costs more accurately and noted the filed tariff shows the demand charge beginning at $0.14 per maximum daily kilowatt. "The rates are designed to recover the general infrastructure costs for a safe, reliable grid," Cordova said during the meeting. The commission voted to deny multiple petitions for reconsideration and issued the order on reconsideration.
The decision comes after months of hearings and thousands of pages of filings. Commissioner Brown, who supported the draft order, said commissioners had been reviewing testimony and the evidentiary record for months and the work does not occur only in the days when a draft order is published. "My work in reviewing the case began in late February when the application was filed," Brown said.
The vote completes an intermediate procedural step: the commission issued the order on reconsideration, and the docket remains subject to ongoing proceedings, including an open overcharge investigation that staff said will produce further filings in December and January. The commission's actions do not yet foreclose judicial review by intervenors, who retain the right to seek relief in court within the available timelines.
Public commenters asked the commission to reverse its approval. "This kills the payoff for going solar and betrays Nevada's clean energy promises," said Jayus McElhinney, a residential solar advocate. John McDonnell told the panel it had "sided with NV Energy" and urged investigations if the daily demand charge is not rescinded.
The order and the vote will be available in the docket for judicial review and further comment, and staff said more filings related to the overcharge investigation are expected in the coming months.
