Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Resident raises alarm over large tree removals at Gosiwin Park; city says replanting planned

Mahtomedi City Council · July 7, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents criticized tree removal under the Adopt‑a‑Park program, saying 20'‑50' trees were cut; Public Works said the city has been managing emerald ash borer issues and Gosiwin Park is high on the replanting list.

During the public comment period, Tom Montanari of 650 Gosiwin Avenue said he believed Adopt‑a‑Park volunteers would pick up litter and do minor maintenance, not "clear cut" mature trees, and reported that "20'-50' living trees have been cut down," some measuring "10\" - 20\" in diameter." He told the council he was told the City does not have budgeted funds to replace the trees and asked what the plan is for restoration.

Mayor Brainerd asked staff to review Adopt‑a‑Park permitted activities. Public Works Director Bob Goebel replied the City has been dealing with emerald ash borer for several years, that much buckthorn had been removed, and that Gosiwin Park is high on the list to be replanted. Goebel also said he would bring a plan to the Parks Commission before additional work proceeds.