Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Communications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents press city for facts after social‑media post links vandalism to weekly rallies
Summary
Residents who attend weekly La Paz-Marguerite protests urged the council to correct or clarify a city social‑media post that said spray‑paint vandalism targeting federal officials had occurred near the rallies; staff said the mark was spray paint, photos exist and removal cost over $300 but said the city had not assigned blame and encouraged witnesses to come forward.
Get email alerts on the Communications topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Several residents used the public‑comment period to press the City of Mission Viejo for specifics after a widely distributed city post reported alleged vandalism near City Hall and linked it to the corner where weekly protests take place.
Dolores Thompson said the city’s social‑media message—posted without photos and noting that the FBI had been notified—“inflamed people on Facebook” and created speculation and fear. “Not knowing what was written, it's hard to even speculate…this vague messaging gave the community an opportunity to overreact,” Thompson said (label 13). Other speakers who regularly attend the weekly rallies—Michael Raucher, Carolyn Gatto and Lynn Hayes—asked the council to present the evidence or correct any implication that the demonstrators were responsible.
City staff responded during public comment that the mark was spray paint (not chalk), that the city possesses photographs, and that removal cost taxpayers "over $300." The staff member said the city identified the location and "did not place blame," but treated the marking as an overt threat to be addressed and encouraged anyone with information to come forward (label 3). Several residents asked that the city post the photos or otherwise clarify the public notice so that peaceful demonstrators are not wrongly vilified or driven away.
The sequence of statements at Tuesday’s meeting underscores a split: residents who run or attend weekly rallies said they have followed protest rules and object to being publicly linked to vandalism without evidence; staff said the material removed was spray paint, removal cost the city money and the city will continue to seek information. Council did not announce any formal investigation outcome tonight and did not take an immediate vote on policy related to the incident.
