Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Demolition Approval topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Heritage commission approves demolition of former Minnesota Protestant Center for 145-unit housing
Summary
The Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission approved demolition of the former Minnesota Protestant Center at 122 Franklin Avenue West to allow a new 145-unit affordable housing project; the motion passed by roll call, 8–1. Staff found rehabilitation financially infeasible and recommended approval.
Get email alerts on the Demolition Approval topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission voted to approve a demolition-of-potential-historic-resource application for the former Minnesota Protestant Center at 122 Franklin Avenue West.
Chair Marie Bjornberg opened the hearing and heard a staff presentation from Erin Kaye, senior city planner, followed by the applicant's presentation and public comment. Commissioner Masten moved to approve the demolition application; Commissioner Wallace seconded. The clerk called the roll and the transcript records eight ayes and one nay (Rodriguez). The motion passed.
Kaye told commissioners that for a demolition application one of three findings must be met. Staff could not confirm finding 1 (demolition necessary to correct a structurally unsafe condition) because the applicant did not provide a licensed engineer's report, and staff considered the property a potential historic resource under criterion 1 and 4, so finding 2 was not met. Staff concluded finding 3 — that rehabilitation was not economically viable — had been met based on the applicant's cost estimates and recommended approval.
Developer John Dickerson said the applicant assessed three options, concluding that new construction would yield 145 units at a lower per-unit cost than converting the existing building. Dickerson cited a projected per-unit cost of about $245,888 for new construction and described constraints in converting the existing tower, including narrow floor plates, window types incompatible with housing, elevator sizes and code issues.
Commissioners voiced mixed views in deliberation. Several said they appreciated the thoroughness of the applicant's economic analysis and staff's review; others lamented the loss of a building with neighborhood character and urged aggressive salvage of stone and brick materials. The commission approved demolition with the stated expectation that salvage be considered during demolition planning.
The commission concluded the public hearing and the motion passed. The commission heard announcements about HPC appointment openings and an award for the Minneapolis African American historic and cultural context study before adjourning; the next regular meeting is Sept. 8, 2026.

