Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Stormwater Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents press Bay Village on repeated wet basements; city outlines sewer relining and storm repairs
Summary
Dozens of residents described repeated basement flooding after a June storm and urged faster infrastructure fixes; Director of Public Services said phase‑1 sewer lining and private-lateral relining have been completed and storm‑sewer repair contracts will begin in July.
Get email alerts on the Stormwater Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Multiple residents described recurring and costly basement flooding across neighborhoods including Bradley, Plymouth and Carlton and asked why long-standing problems persist. "My basement is basically unusable in this beautiful town," Jim Vick told council, describing multiple sewage backups over decades.
Director of Public Services (Director Costello) summarized Phase 1 sanitary improvements and smoke-and-dye testing results, saying the city lined approximately 2,219 linear feet of sewer and about 1,540 linear feet of private laterals, completed four sanitary repairs totaling under $40,000 and spent approximately $1.7 million on the effort so far. He told residents that storm-sewer repair bidding is complete for multiple streets and that work will begin the week of July 6: "That work will begin in earnest the week of July 6," Costello said.
Engineers will also reassess the Walker/Walmart pumping facility and downstream capacity in Huntington Woods and nearby basins. Council and staff urged homeowners to consider private measures (sump pumps, backflow preventers) and offered home visits to discuss lower-cost mitigations; staff said some private corrections remain in the pipeline from Phase 1.
