Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Event Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council discontinues city-supported 4th Avenue Halloween street closure citing staffing and liability

Hendersonville City Council · August 7, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Staff recommended ending the partial 4th Avenue Halloween closure because full closure would require resources and create emergency-access risks; council voted to discontinue city involvement and instead use messaging and limited police presence.

City staff recommended discontinuing the partial closure of 4th Avenue for Halloween events, citing insurance advice, barricade and staffing capacity constraints and concerns about emergency access if the street were fully closed.

The manager described how a partial closure had functioned as an "attractive nuisance," drawing large numbers of trick-or-treaters from the downtown events, and said the city lacked capacity to provide a full closure comparable to Main Street. Staff recommended ceasing the closure but using message boards and targeted police presence to alert residents to congestion and encourage sidewalk use. Council voted to discontinue the closure by voice vote.

Councilors noted the closure had been intended as a resident-led partnership and said staff would phase out city involvement while providing public information about safety and expected congestion.