Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the School Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Parent Shelby Torres urges Keansburg School District to review repeated student assaults, seeks out-of-district placement

Kingsburg Board of Education · June 17, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At a Keansburg Board of Education meeting, parent Shelby Torres described repeated physical assaults on her son across multiple grades and asked the board to review district responses and to fund out-of-district placement for the child. Board members said law enforcement had been involved.

Shelby Torres, a lifelong Keansburg resident and parent of a second grader, told the board she has reported multiple incidents involving her son dating from preschool through second grade and said district responses left her without confidence in her child's safety. "My son has repeatedly been jumped by other students on 2 different occasions," Torres said, and asked the board to "review the history of the reported incidents" and "consider replacing my son out of district at the district educational program at the district's expense for the upcoming school year."

Board members responded in the meeting that the district and local law enforcement had been involved in investigations. One board member said the police and prosecutor’s office were brought in and that charges were placed, adding that school resource officers and close relationships with the police are in place to protect students: "We brought in the police, the prosecutor's office, and made it completely public," the board member said. The board did not make an immediate change to the student's placement during the meeting; Torres’s request for out-of-district placement was recorded as a parent ask for board review and follow-up.