Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Historic Preservation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Historic Preservation Board approves conditioned addition at 5730 Southwest 49th Street

City of South Miami Historic Preservation Board · February 23, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The City of South Miami Historic Preservation Board approved application HPB2025‑005 for a two‑story addition at 5730 Southwest 49th Street with conditions and several required corrections to staff calculations. One board member recused himself and staff will send the project to the design review board before any building permit.

The City of South Miami Historic Preservation Board on Tuesday approved application HPB2025‑005, a resubmittal proposing a two‑story addition to a historically designated home at 5730 Southwest 49th Street.

Marcus Lightfoot, the staff presenter, told the board the application "was received by the city on 02/13/2026" and that staff found several technical corrections were needed, including revised floor‑area‑ratio calculations and missing setback dimensions for a proposed pool. Staff recommended approval with those conditions and that the project go to the city's design review board and comply with the Florida Building Code before any permit is issued.

Architect Jorge Reyes, representing owners Mariana and Christian Parfit, said the design team had been working with staff after recent zoning amendments and that the scheme sought to "marry the house" with a sensitive massing and materials palette. Reyes told the board they expect to refine the plans and respond to the conditions prior to resubmission.

Board member Manuel Menendez disclosed that a clay roof tile product noted in the application was one he distributes and said he would listen but recuse himself from participation. The board discussed recusal rules and proceeded; a motion to approve the application with staff recommendations passed with the members present.

The board clarified that if the applicants decide to add a one‑car garage rather than the proposed canopy carport, the change would be "a significant enough change that it wouldn't be done administratively" and would require the applicants to return for review. Staff said they will ensure the outstanding calculation and setback corrections are included as conditions of approval.