Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Emergency Response topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Fire and police: South Side hardest hit; crews report 110-plus incidents and no hospital transports so far

Mayor's Office, City of Columbus · August 12, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Fire and police officials said the storm produced more than 110 dispatched incidents concentrated on the South Side, with roof losses and overturned vehicles; secondary searches were underway and officials said they had not needed to transport anyone to hospitals at the time of the briefing.

Chief Barnhart of the Columbus Fire Department told the briefing that crews started responding during the storm and "at one point, we had over 110 incidents that had been dispatched for our people to respond to." He described the heaviest damage as on the South Side, from Parsons and Henman east toward Marion and Lockbourne, and said crews checked buildings with substantial damage to confirm there were no trapped or injured people.

Police Chief Segal said the Division of Police's primary role during a natural disaster is to assist fire with cordons, traffic control and safety. "If you see power lines that are down, make sure you stay away from those because we can't really verify that those power lines have been cut off from power," Segal said, and he urged residents to call 911 for imminent threats and use 311 for nonemergency downed-tree reports.