Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Technology Policy topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Principal: cell-phone ban led to 42 offenses so far; lockers now required

Eden Central School District Board of Education · December 16, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Eden Middle–High School principal Jeff Cervone told the board the district recorded 42 cell-phone offenses among about 650 students under the new state ban, described a tiered enforcement approach, and said all students have been assigned lockers to store backpacks and phones.

Jeff Cervone, one of the Eden Middle–High principals, told the board the district scrambled to implement the state ban on internet‑enabled devices and adopted a tiered, progressive enforcement plan. "We have 42 cell phone offenses out of 650 students roughly," Cervone said, adding that 10th grade accounted for 13 offenses and repeat violators are concentrated in grades 7–10.

Cervone described that most students correct behavior after the first consequence and that the policy has been "very effective for all of our students." He also announced a change requiring locker use for all students so backpacks and phones are stored in lockers; he reported 25 locker work orders through last week and said students adapted quickly to the change.