Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Budget Adoption topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board adopts $70.2 million proposed budget for 2026–27
Summary
The Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board voted to adopt a proposed budget for fiscal year 2026–27 totaling a $70.2 million allocation, including funding for new ALJs, IT upgrades and a $11.5 million operating reserve to handle workload spikes.
Get email alerts on the Budget Adoption topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board on Monday adopted a proposed spending plan for fiscal year 2026–27 that staff said places the board's add allocation at $70,200,000.
Carol, presenting the budget, told the board that "these changes place our 2627 budget add allocation at $70,200,000," and outlined the major drivers: projected caseload declines, a mix of position changes, and several equipment and software purchases.
Board members pressed staff for context about historical spikes and the board's ability to respond. Staff said EDD-submitted data projects a decrease of roughly 41,250 unemployment insurance dispositions in 26-27, supporting a recommended reduction of 43.1 positions tied to lower projected workload.
The board also reviewed proposed hiring to meet potential temporary workload increases: staff described placeholders for retired-annuitant administrative law judges and an overtime contingency. The package presented a salary plan of $41.3 million and an operating reserve of $11.5 million; staff said the total proposed spending plan including benefits is about $83 million compared with the governor's published $101.3 million for CUIAB.
A motion to adopt the proposed budget was moved and seconded on the record; the chair called a roll and multiple members voted "aye," after which the chair stated the budget had been adopted. Chief Seleit confirmed there were no closed-session items, and the chair adjourned the meeting.

