Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Food Service topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Food service changes reduce lunch lines; student board member reports positive feedback on new gown
Summary
District told the board that operational changes — a second hotline, temporary disposable trays and a snack shack — have reduced high school lunch lines; student board member Saba said students noticed smoother service and offered preliminary, mostly positive feedback on a new single‑color graduation gown.
Get email alerts on the Food Service topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
During his superintendent report Dr. Ruka said the district has taken operational steps to speed high‑school food service after earlier delays: a second hotline was opened Oct. 19, a snack shack opened Nov. 10, and two additional food service workers were hired (to start pending personnel approval), which the superintendent said helped reduce congestion.
“If we have starving children, we need to feed them,” Dr. Ruka said, explaining a temporary switch to disposable trays and added staff were measures to keep service moving while longer‑term staffing was addressed.
Student board member Saba later told the board students “are no longer having to wait in long lines that are taking a good chunk of their lunch period,” and praised opening a second lane and other changes that let students eat and return to classes. Saba also relayed early feedback on the high school’s new graduation gown — a red gown with a double white stripe intended to be non‑gender specific — saying student responses have been generally positive though some parent opinions have been expressed.
The board previously approved personnel recommendations as part of the consent agenda that included hiring food service workers; the superintendent noted those hires will further support operations already showing improvement.
