Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Athletics topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Parents and board dispute cancelled game as wrestling travel and regional play approved

Nespelem School District Board of Directors · January 30, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Board members and parents clashed over the cancellation of the season’s final game; the board approved the wrestling team's travel and later approved HS wrestling for regionals and state following executive session.

Board members questioned a decision to cancel the high-school basketball team's last game of the season during the Athletic Director report.

Chair Jolene Marchand said coaches should accept criticism, stating, "coaches need to be consistent and learn to accept criticism." Parents Anna and Val Vargas and members of the team stood up and said they opposed canceling the final game; Superintendent Effie Dean reported she had been told by the AD, principal and coach that Anna and Val planned to withhold their sons, which Anna and Val denied. The board and parents also discussed whether the district wanted to sustain high‑school sports given time commitments and league expectations.

Separately, the board approved high-school wrestling travel and later, following executive session, affirmed HS wrestling participation to regionals and state. Annette Moses made the motion to approve wrestling travel; Nancy Armstrong-Montes seconded and the travel motion carried.