Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Public commenter accuses board of misleading community over $5.2M capital-reserve transfer
Summary
During public comment a speaker alleged the district misled the community about the timing of a $5.2 million capital-reserve transfer and said mailed per-student spending figures understated actual spending by about $7,000; the board did not provide a detailed rebuttal in the meeting record.
Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
In public comment on Sept. 15, a community member accused the board of misleading the public about the timing and purpose of a roughly $5.2 million transfer to the capital reserve fund and criticized district communication about per-student spending.
The commenter said earlier explanations that the transfer waited for the audit were false, asserting the transfer had been made before the audit and that the stated per-student spending figure circulated to district households understated actual spending by about $7,000 per pupil. The speaker said, "Simply put, that was a flatout lie," and called for greater honesty from the board.
Board leadership did not produce a substantive factual rebuttal during that meeting; the auditor had earlier noted the district made a prior-year transfer of approximately $4.2 million to capital reserve that affects multi-year comparisons. The accusation centers on timing, disclosure and public messaging rather than a formal legal finding recorded during the meeting. The board's official minutes and any follow-up records requests will be the place for formal fact-checking and documentation.

