Citizen Portal

Commissioners postpone Carter Valley Phase 9 after marathon debate over road work and bonding

Knoxville Knox County Planning Commission · September 10, 2026

Summary

After hours of debate over traffic impacts, vested-rights claims and who should pay for western Carter Mill Road improvements, the Planning Commission voted to postpone final action on Carter Valley Phase 9 for 30 days to allow staff, county engineers and the developer to negotiate bonding and MOU language.

The Knoxville Knox County Planning Commission postponed action for 30 days on Carter Valley Phase 9, a proposed 121‑lot, multi‑phase subdivision, after a lengthy debate about traffic impacts, existing road safety and how to apportion the cost of off‑site road improvements.

Taylor Forrester, counsel for the applicant, argued the project has vesting claims stemming from an original 2004–2005 master plan and that requiring the developer to shoulder the full cost of widening the western leg of Carter Mill Drive would be disproportionate. Forrester told the commission: "The Nolan case establishes that you've gotta show an essential nexus," and urged that any exaction be tied to rough proportionality and the developer's share of traffic.

County transportation staff said existing volumes and updated counts warrant improvements. Director Snowden summarized the traffic engineer's estimates and said the roadway now carries roughly 500 trips per day and that Phase 9 alone would add several hundred more: "So, essentially, I think now is about 500 trips a day on it." Commissioners debated options including capping a bonded share, a three‑year bond window, required memoranda of understanding (MOU) with Knox County, and design alternatives such as right‑turn only egress to steer traffic east instead of west.

Several commissioners raised equity concerns about prior phases: some said earlier phases contributed to the cumulative impact and questioned whether Phase 9 should bear a greater share of cost. Others favored binding the developer to a performance bond and an agreed construction estimate so the county could foreclose on the bond if work did not occur.

After extended discussion, Commissioner Hill moved to postpone the item for 30 days to give engineering staff and the applicant time to draft specific bond/MOU language; the motion carried. The postponement preserves staff's other conditions and sets a timetable for the parties to negotiate the percentage share, the bond ceiling and related permit conditions.

The developer and county engineering will return with proposed MOU and bonding terms, additional traffic counts if needed, and clarified condition language at the next Planning Commission meeting.

AI generated

The text on this page is AI generated. Summaries, highlights, analysis, and video transcripts are all produced from the original source material.

AI can make mistakes, so if you spot one, and we will fix it for everyone.

Note: the source content is unaltered by us. Any content source we link to, be it a video, an audio recording, or a document, is presented exactly as its publisher released it. That publisher is usually a government body, sometimes an individual official or another organisation.

Source