Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Consumer Protection topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Investigation into prepaid funeral-services fraud: 31 victims identified in Tolland; known loss ~$279,830

Tolland Town Council · February 11, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Town and state investigators say at least 31 customers (22 Tolland residents) were affected by alleged misuse of prepaid funeral funds; the senior center helped victims and law enforcement says victims should submit contracts and financial records for inclusion in the docket; the building was sold to a regional funeral provider planning renovations.

Tolland officials and state investigators told the Town Council on Feb. 10 that a criminal investigation into prepaid funeral-service arrangements linked to the local funeral facility has identified dozens of victims and nearly $280,000 in known losses.

Detective Justine Sedegren of the Eastern District major crimes unit said her investigation identified 31 victims who purchased preplanned funeral agreements at the Tolland location; 22 of those are Tolland residents. "The total amount of loss that we've identified so far is $279,829.90," she said, and investigators are still receiving reports and records from potential victims.

Kyle Sanders, the senior-center director, described the center's role as point of contact for affected residents. The senior center helped residents gather records, made copies, accompanied victims during police statements and coordinated outreach. Sanders said about 15 individuals or couples came to the senior center for help in the initial response.

Detective Sedegren directed victims to the judicial website and a court docket that lists the relevant Rockville Court case, and said the state's attorney is processing the matter as a docketed case (not warrant cases). Victims are asked to bring contracts, checks or credit-card statements to be added to the case file.

Separately, development staff said the Pietrus (Petrus/Pietrus spelling varies in records) funeral-home building has been purchased by a family-owned regional firm with 75 years in the state; the buyer plans renovations and a portico for hearses and hopes to reopen late spring or summer. Town staff cautioned that significant recovery of victim funds from the sale is unlikely because the operating arrangements involved third-party ownership and lease arrangements.

Why it matters: The fraud affected older residents who prepay funeral services and placed the town's senior services and law enforcement at the center of victim outreach and case coordination. The investigation involves multiple neighboring towns and multiple victims who may not yet know they were affected.

What happens next: Law enforcement continues to build victim packets and the state's attorney's office will proceed through the docket; the town will continue to assist victims through the senior center and will post guidance on how residents can check whether they have funds held by the escrow agent named in their contract.

Provenance: topicintro SEG 2876; topfinish SEG 3111.