Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Council Actions topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

La Porte council approves $35,754 safety appropriation, vacates Walton Avenue cul‑de‑sac and reappoints bid‑board members

City of La Porte Common Council · February 18, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At its Feb. 17 meeting the City of La Porte Common Council approved a $35,754 appropriation for prisoner partitions in the Lehi public safety fund, passed an ordinance vacating a Walton Avenue line labeled a cul‑de‑sac, and reappointed two members to the bid board. Several administrative items were also handled.

The City of La Porte Common Council on Feb. 17 approved several routine and project-specific actions, including a $35,754 appropriation to add prisoner partitions to police vehicles, the vacation of a property line on Walton Avenue, and the reappointment of two bid-board members.

Councilman Galloway introduced a resolution to appropriate $35,754 from the Lehi public safety fund (fund code 2240069451.001) for capital outlays described as prisoner partitions. Clerk Treasurer Arthune said the expense was not in the annual budget and that a public hearing had been advertised in the Herald Dispatch on Jan. 20, 2026. With no public testimony, the council opened and closed the hearing and approved the appropriation on a voice vote. "These are for the partitions that protect the officers in the car so prisoners cannot kick from behind," the presiding officer said when describing the need.

Council president Franke read an ordinance for second and final reading to vacate a line shown as a cul‑de‑sac on Walton Avenue in the Orchard Home Subdivision. Nick Otis noted the item had gone through the traffic commission and that any future replatting would require planned‑commission review and adjacent‑owner notice. The council approved the ordinance on voice vote.

Under other business, the council reappointed Liz Ward and John Spiegel to the bid board for two‑year terms effective immediately. The motion was moved, seconded and approved on a voice vote.

Several procedural items also passed by voice vote: the council moved the April 6 meeting to April 13; it withdrew a proposed ordinance to make M Street one‑way following recommendations from the street department and the traffic commission.

Next steps: the appropriation is effective as approved and the ordinance vacation will be recorded per city procedures. No roll‑call vote tallies were recorded in the transcript; each contested item passed on a voice vote with no recorded dissents.